Blessed Sleep
Blessings
Today I focus on my blessings.
Today I have had a relatively full night of sleep. I am groggy, not from lack of sleep, but from being well-rested. It feels delicious.
I know I am lucky. That some caregivers never get this respite. But I am selfish and I will take it.
Every night my husband and I write in a journal my daughter and granddaughter made for him in which his lists the things he is grateful for, looking forward to, and goals he has.
Today I am grateful for so much.
The home healthcare worker that is here is wonderful. A young nursing student. Gentle, yet persistent. She does dishes and prompts my husband through his exercises. One of the few people outside of family I feel comfortable leaving my husband with if I want to leave the house. Such a gift.
My husband is making slow but discernable progress. People who haven't seen him in a while notice improvement in his speech and strength. He stands up in the lift faster and with less assistance. He works the sit cycle a little longer every day. His excises are a little less painful.
I know the day is coming we will take a step backward. That is the way with deconditioning and heart failure. But not today.
Today is a day for blessings.
Comments
Post a Comment